Environmentalists Call for Fair Grazing Fees

Graham Willers glw at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 12:47:21 EST 1999

On 15 Mar 1999 17:34:46 -0800, pgharr at PEG.APC.ORG ("Peter G Harrison")
wrote:

>This assumes that you can produce vegetable protein from the actual piece of
>land.  In many areas it is not feasible - practical and technical and
>economic so grazing is still a sound land use policy for many areas.
>
>Yes, the land condition must be maintained.
>
>This sounds like a lot of pretty ignorant foresters sounding off about a
>subject of which they seem to know little.  Some sound reasoned debate by a
>few range management professionals may be more illuminating.

Whoah! Hold your horse partner.
I am the first to admit I dont know anything about cattle ranching.
I was just suggesting - very broadly - the way the great unwashed
public might see it.
However, the word 'grazing' over in this part of the world usually
brings up the problem of Deer destroying the forests and sheep
degrading the soil and  while I am no expert I have studied
Conservation Management and Forest Management and spent 24 years
involved with the issues. I therefore stick by my augument about the
need to radically reduce Deer and sheep numbers in Scotland.