Environmentalists Call for Fair Grazing Fees

HULTGREN arne at snowcrest.net
Wed Mar 17 22:04:36 EST 1999

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in message
news:36EF8ABE.643A52E0 at forestmeister.com...
>Larry Caldwell wrote:
>>

>> That's why we have a Senate, bub.  Your populist House of Representatives
>> has a leash from sparsely populated states.  It is one of the things that
>> protects the republic from the tyrrany of the majority.
>
>Yuh, the majority- it's called DEMOCRACY. The well established never did
>like that radical concept.
Let's call it a republic, or if you'd like, a representative democracy.

>> And of course, the supposed abuses seem to magically disappear when
>> somebody actually goes to look at the situation.  We had the House
>> Agriculture Committee convene in Bend last session, and the good reps
>> from Massachewsetts got to go out and kick the sod.  They went home with
>> a different attitude.
>>
>> > And of course, you're a landowner in Oregon. What if I said that I
>> > insist on ranching YOUR land? And that my ranching would be good for
the
>> > local economy. I'm sure you'd be standing at your gate with a shotgun
if
>> > I brought my sheep over to eat up your property.
>>
>> That's your opinion, not your decision.  I own federal lands just as much
>> as you do.  I can tell you don't like the political process, but that's
>> life, bub.  Try living in a region where 2/3 of the land and resources
>> are owned by the feds sometime.  Your attitude might change.
>
>Irrelevant. The amount of PRIVATE land per capita is FAR greater than in
>heavily populated states.

Now explain to me how you're making that calculation.
My county is half federal, about the size of New Hampshire and the
population is around 50,000. The feds pay NO property tax. And they quit
cutting timber about 5 years ago. We could build the entire new construction
of Taxachusetts on the mortality alone, from Siskiyou county NF's.

>My attitude might change? I'd LOVE to live in a state mostly owned by
>the public- large forests and parks and wilderness areas. What you
>western right wingers REALLY mean in such states is that you GREATLY
>COVET all that land FOR YOURSELVES.
Seriously, Z-man, you'd sing a different tune if you checked out things, out
here....My fingers would cramp if I tried to explain it all...you know, one
picture is worth....etc.The offer's open. Hell, you're all snowed in now
anyway...lot's of time on your hands, huh?
-a