Oregon Endangered Species List

HULTGREN arne at snowcrest.net
Sun Mar 21 11:49:02 EST 1999

Sacramento-San Joaquin King returns are plugging-up the rivers (okay, that
may be mild hyperbole). Trollers had a great year. Oh, but I'll bet THOSE
were 'hachery' fish! The Klamath had another bumper year; okay, I know a lot
of those had the poor taste to return to the hachery, but according to
fishery biologists, about 5% of the returns make wrong turns, that is
migrate to a stream other than the one they originated from. A big problem
is poor census techniques. (i.e. your highest probablity of finding
something is WHERE you look for it. The variations from these census
extrapolations, don't pass the 25 MPH test)

I hope they ban ALL fishing: Commercial, Sport, and Recreational. You can't
control what bites the bait.
We can debate what levels of turbidity are endemic, and what are hazardous,
but when you hook a fish, there's no doubt that's a "take". Shucks, at least
20% of all shakers die. How many 'released' fish are killed by those
RobertRedford-esque fly fisherman?
Oh yes, and what about those cute little (2000#) Stellar Sea Lions?

-arne

-------
news:7cut3d$8k3$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com...