Owls Created Jobs

Michael Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Fri Mar 26 13:06:27 EST 1999

Whoever thinks that forestry jobs of any kind increased because of the
Owl has their head firmly up their  (nope can't say that) ....   Lets
just say that the only ones left have had to learn many new and
unexpected skills and hell no there isn't nearly enough to go around.
Odd that there's a forester licensing law on the horizon, to further
weed out the mob.

There was indeed a rush to cut on smaller private forest lands, but that
is largely done and out here in washington, seldom involved a Forester.

As far as leave trees go, we're in a transition period from clearcut
mentality to a more uneven aged silviculture. Meaning, most what was
left used to be the poorly formed, the "safe", the damaged and such,
just so a 95% harvest could not be called a "clearcut". The "sloppy
forestry" scenario was actually presented a a good thing, by early New
Forestry practitioners. More LWD on the ground, less site prep, lots of
suppressed whips which would become incorporated into the next stand,
etc. It was a major leap to start leaving good, prime crop trees as the
overstory. Especially when these run the risk of blowing down before the
next harvest.  This practice still hasn't quite taken hold among the
older generation and blasting the tops off good timber (to make snags if
there aren't enough real ones) simply drives them to tears.(almost)