slick propaganda by Weyerhaeuser??

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Sun Mar 28 11:43:05 EST 1999

In article <36FDA3C4.3A08 at eaglering.com>,
  talon at eaglering.com wrote:
> dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:
> >
> > In article <36FB87BA.D15BC40B at forestmeister.com>,
> >   Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:
> > > POSTED IN THE FORESTRY NEWSGROUPS AND BLIND COPIED TO OTHERS
> > >
> > > I saw a slick propaganda item in a recent Time magazine by them so I
> > > scanned it and have it at http://www.forestmeister.com/temp/w.jpg
> > >
> > > Their corporate web site is at http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/
> > >
> > > Comments?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Joe Zorzin, Silviculture Practicing Forester
> > > http://forestmeister.com
> > >

> > Looks like a spin-doctor to me. Maybe they can get the people at Exxon (or is
> > that Texaco?) to do a similar feel-good ad for polluting Alaska. Shouldn't
> > there be a disclaimer at the top though? Something like: "Caution: Slick
> > Willy's ahead."
> >
> > Daniel B. Wheeler
[snip]
> I take it then, that as a matter of principle you walk to everywhere you
> are going?
>
> If not, do you accept your portion of the blame for pushing Exxon into
> trying to cut corners?

I walk probably as much as you do.

As for pushing Exxon, that was more a matter of making money, wasn't it? The
same as the former Exxon not paying the $5 billion fine to date to the people
of Alaska, according to a last Thursday's "20/20". Why? They make more money
by investing that money to later pay for the settlement. Check the stock
market results for the last 10 years. Smart? Yes. Ethical? I'll leave that to
the readers. Corporate bottom-line decision? ASSUREDLY.

Getting back OT, Weyerhauser has done some good things. But planting trees
before they had to...I'll reserve comment until later. My initial
understanding is that they started experiments in silviculture to increase
their tree production. But actual out-planting didn't take place until it was
mandated by law. Whereupon Weyerhauser's spin doctors tried to make their
company look good.

I'm still wondering what ectomycorrhizal fungi (essential for tree growth in
nature) is being utilized by Weyerhauser. Or if they recognize these fungi
exist. If so, they should be seeing growth of 2-6 feet per year from Douglas
fir.

But I have heard rumors that Siberian larch was being imported to several
mills in Oregon, bringing with this untreated logs the threat of Siberian
gypsy moth infestation. Weyerhauser was one of the alleged importers.

In case you don't know, Siberian gypsy moth eats just about anything: conifer,
shrub, hardwood, cruciferous vegetable. Dr. William Dennison of Oregon State
University, past president of the Oregon Small Woodlands Association, is quite
concerned about this threat which has already caused outbreaks in the Seattle
area. Importing logs which haven't been sterilized from Siberia or China
(Seattle is importing a lot of packing material: wood chips from China) is an
excellent way to destroy forest resources at least locally.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.