slick propaganda by Weyerhaeuser??

Michael Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Mon Mar 29 11:57:29 EST 1999

As it stands now companies which export logs or are not in the immediate
geographic area can not bid on DNR sales.  There has been a (no surprise
here) big drop in state revenues because of this.  Last week, a change
was proposed to remove that restriction.

What isn't clear to me is how the "export restricted" clause which is on
virtually all state sale prospectus will be treated. They could remove
it if they want to increase the bids or just increase the number of
"exportable " sales allowed.  Smaller companies than W. would share in
the rise as well since there are still quite a few export log buyers in
business.

The substitution problem would likely get as sticky as it was back when
FS sales were common.  It's very difficult to track logs once they've
entered a sorting yard.