Owls Created Jobs

LRLake lrlake at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 14:37:59 EST 1999

How true, Joe.  I think the dynamic movement of harvesting, to areas with
economical amounts of harvestable timber, over time is often overlooked.  To
me, it supports the overall fact that forest products (at some scale) are a
renewable resource.  The politics, ownership, size and extraction strategies
just change over time and geographic region.  Forestry and harvest are demand
driven; where supply and demand meet, harvests occur.

This does bring me to a point or two I have been meaning to address, regarding
some of your posts dealing with professional forestry and silviculture on NIPF
lands in MA.

BTW, I support licensing... the "teeth" you seek are necessary for an
accountable program.

In February, 1999, I was in your neck of the woods.  While driving the Mass
Pike from Albany to Springfield, I was able to do a "strip cruise" through,
what by western standards, would be half the state.  WHERE'S THE BEEF.

The Berckshires and the region cresting the Appalachians, as observed from
I-90, is pretty crappy forest that might best be improved through rehab; start
over 'cause the stands appear useless.

I saw dense weed stnads of hardwoods mixed with a poor form pine residual (two
needle (?), coastal lodgepole type in the west) that appeared left by prior
harvest.  Ocasionally, residual white pine was a predominant tree.

The site looked poor, overstocked and included few trees greater than 12-14"
DBH.  It sure looked like most of the teritory east of springfield was
essentially urban or suburban in character and that, perhaps, the western
"frontier" might be the only managable land in the state.  i.e. "available and
capable", "highest and best use", etc.

I did think in terms of the clearing of the I-90 corridor which was probably 30
years ago and subsequent growth, etc.  Intuitively, it still looked
shity...essentially brush, by my experience.

Where are the "fertile plains" of forestry in MA? Certainly not in the west at
any scale...did I miss something?

Larry

Lawrence R. Lake, RPF
Redding, CA

I my sample is indicative of western MA, what silvicultural oppoprtunities are
there?  I don't get it.  Looks like "old growth" brush to me.  Hopefully,
there is more opportunity than I recognize.