slick propaganda by Weyerhaeuser??

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Wed Mar 31 09:10:11 EST 1999

Christopher Erickson wrote:

> I might add that privatization of much of the national forest system would
> go a long way to improving silviculture. The incentives of private ownership
> simply are more powerful at shaping behavior than the reems and reems of red
> tape put forward by bureaucrats.

Not true. Private forests in America have been raped over and over again
for centuries. And besides, the American public likes having THEIR
forests. And, this is not in defense of *&^%$ bureaucrats, as anyone who
has read this newsgroup would know my opinions in that regard. But,
regarding public land, the solution is to set those forests up as
"trusts". The forest economist Randal O'Toole as done a lot of work on
this. Check out http://www.senate.gov/~energy/transfer.htm#otoole and
http://www.ti.org/statetrusts.html.

JZ