Bomb at Forest Guardians (Fwd)

Ros Wingate glw at globalnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 30 21:49:30 EST 1999

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:42:20 -0500, Joseph Zorzin
<redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:

>Graham Willers wrote:
>>
>> >In my view, a bomb is out of order in anyones protest. Over here things
>> >are mostly limited to sitting  at the tops of trees for legitimate eco
>> >protests- or burrowing 20 feet underground in the path of a motorway,
>> >and having a sit in. It gets attention, and doesn't explode.
>> --
>> >John Burt
>>
>> It worked too!! Massive cutbacks in the government roadbuilding
>> programme and encouragement to revamp the railways ( well lip-service
>> anyway)
>>
>> Regards
>> Graham
>
>Maybe your government in the UK got embarrassed when they see how well
>the French have done with their world class train system instead of
>following the American system of paving over our country with roads and
>strip developments.
>
>--
>Joe Zorzin
This is a bit off subject but as a matter of interest our crap railway
system is due in part ( like so many other things in the UK) to the
class system.
When the railways were being laid out about 150 years ago the ruling
class were the classic NIMBYs of the time and forced the railways to
go round the big estates.
This obviously led to some pretty twisted winding railways and we are
still suffering the consequences today ie. trains have to go slow
round all the bends.

regards
Graham Willers

aka Adam Whyte-Settlar (my Scottish newsgroup psuedo name - I keep
forgetting to change the options setting when I change groups!)