slick propaganda by Weyerhaeuser??

Graham Willers glw at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 31 04:17:51 EST 1999

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 19:22:43 -0800, larryc at teleport.com (Larry
Caldwell) wrote:

>In article <3701bab0.11266820 at news>, glw at globalnet.co.uk writes:
>
>> Dont you have any controls AT ALL?
>> There is no way in this country that private landowner can just sell
>> the trees to a logger to cut.
>> We have the Forest Authority and anyone who wants to cut a tree has to
>> submit plans and get their say so.

>In the USA it's mostly a question of where you live.  Joe lives in
>Massachusetts, which hasn't revised it's legal system since they quit
>mashing witches to death under rocks.

We (Scotland) revised our law on witches and traitors in 1926 . Up
until that date it was still technically legal to be sentenced to be
hung, drawn and quartered for certain offences.

>Here on the Left Coast, we have a thing called the Forest Practices Act,
>which does essentially what your FA seems to do.  We do have to file a
>harvest plan, reforest within 3 years or pay a substantial penalty,
>maintain riparian zones around watercourses, and dozens of other things.
>In fact, any time we do anything in the woods we have to file a notice
>with the Oregon State Forestry Department.
>
>The USA generally leaves private forest management to the states.  The
>result is that some states have very progressive Forest Practices Acts
>and some states have none at all.

I keep forgetting that you don't have a federal law for everything.
Being from a parochial country which would just about squeeze into the
corner of Manhatten Island I tend to presume that other country's laws
apply nationally.
Its good to hear that at least in places like Oregon you have a
similar system to us.
Remind me not to take a job in Mass.

>You also need to understand the geography of North America.  We have
>parks in Oregon larger than the combined timber holdings in the state of
>Massachusetts.  We have over a million hectares of commercial timber in
>my county alone.  Most of it is very well managed indeed.
>
>-- Larry
Any vacancies? !    : )