Peripherals pay for forests

paul at banon.demon.co.uk paul at banon.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 10:03:17 EST 1999

Tom, that's not the point - the point is anyway that the forest can't be
sustained by cutting it down, regardless of the fact that historical
mistakes have been made it's time to get moving with a sustainable way
of life - I believe the hopi indians called it Koyaanisquatsi (a new way
must be found) - some have found it without bickering. I know john and
he lives in an old (300 years old) cottage - he can't be held
responsible for the timber in that house - his way is to forest within
the new acceptable economy of forestry practice -
the ship is sinking - john's trying to find others who are interested in
sustainability - why not look at his website at
http://www.goodstock.co.uk

In article <380CDE94.65A24BB9 at saber.net>,
  tcaves at saber.net wrote:
> And I'm sure, your home is not made from wood, luber, or plywood......
>
> John Spikes wrote:
> >
> > truffler is right that little or no or scornful regard is given to
managing
> > forests for anything other than macho stuff like pulp or logs or a
chance to
> > break a new&expensive bit of equipment .
fungi,moss,foliage,cones,contorted
> > branches,bark,ANYTHING  pays better than raw timber ; maintains
rather than
> > traumatises the forest structure , and uses the energy of a man and
a sack
> > on his feet . How do you tell these suburban lumberjacks that wood
is not
> > the only dish . I don't know whether it works right yet , but we
have a
> > website with a practical -aspect forum to start to drag some real
solutions
> > to the industrial version of lifeonearth , at www.goodstock.co.uk  .
lets
www.wildernessreform.com

Rethinking
Collection of

> > > I don't think it is being removed from development, nor is 'hands
off'
> > > management to be practiced. But it is time for the Feds to start
> > > managing on a sustainable basis, which would include IMO
cultivation of
> > > mycorrhizal fungi. (After all, how *sustainable* is anything when
you
> > > aren't actually *growing* it?)
> > >
> > > Ectomycorrhizal fungi are extremely important to tree growth and
health.
> > > Most tree farmers (and NF and BLM) don't know what they are, can't
> > > recognize the most common forms, haven't heard about them, and
deal with
> > > them only from a deep denial standpoint. Since only 50-100 species
have
> > > been cultivated (that I am aware of), and 3000 species are known
with
> > > Douglas fir alone, I think there is a lot to be said for vastly
reduced
> > > harvesting in national forests and public lands.
> > >
> > > Add to this the strong suspicion that there is a succession of
> > > mycorrhizae as individual trees mature, and the basis for
set-asides
> > > becomes imporant as sources for inoculant of future trees.
> > >
> > > It has been said that only God can grow a tree. I'd question that,
up to
> > > 60 years of age. I believe that age of tree have been
well-documented