Coufal's remarks on civility

Gail gailmm at worldpath.net
Tue Nov 2 22:18:49 EST 1999

It is not a matter of "rights", it is a matter of personal effectiveness. I
can tell you of a personal experience- an "enviro" ,as you put it, who was
rude and confrontational. He finally learned that when he began to talk to
people as humans and stopped treating them with labels like "bureaucrats" or
"timber beasts", a real dialogue opened up. As a result, the state I live in
has one of the most innovative, progressive, environmentally sensitive
management plans they've ever produced. And it was a product produced by
consensus. It never would have happened had Jamie continued to treat people
trying to do their jobs the best way they can with disrespect. For you to
equate trying to remove human beings from bondage with contemporary problems
of environmental stewardship demeans the former.