Peripherals pay for forests

Christopher Erickson chrerick at email.msn.com
Fri Nov 5 06:21:47 EST 1999

To comments on the definition of sustainable:

1) A good working definition should also address economic issues.

2) Is sustainability defined at the micro level (e.g., at the plot, or
forest level) or at the macro level (e.g., ecosystem, world). If we practice
sustainable forestry in Oregon, thus limiting the supply of timber from the
Cascades, and this causes customers to substitute timber from the much more
environmentally sensitive area -- is that sustainable forestry?

smarthu <smarthu at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:7vsig7$lit$1 at nntp8.atl.mindspring.net...

> truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote in message <7vsacl$tob$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >In article <s20lkrl124263 at corp.supernews.com>,
> >  bob mcarthur <rgmcarthatviserdotnet> wrote:
> >> paul at banon.demon.co.uk writes: > Tom, that's not the point - the point
is
> anyway that the forest can't be
> >> Just for laughs, let me ask.
> >I love a challenge.
> >> Define forestry.
> >Growing trees. But another definition in Webster's is "harvesting
> >trees." These seem non-identical to me. Should "harvesting trees" be
> >terms "logging?"
> >> Deifine sustainability.
> >Being able to grow trees over time. (Of course, in order to do that you
> >also need to be able to grow mycorrhizal fungi, especially
> >ectomycorrhizal fungi for most trees.
>
> <snip>
>

> Well, that's the point.
> Is forestry exploiting a forest or using a forest or managing a forest?
(Is
> farming exploiting plants and animals or raising plants and animals?)
>
> How long is "sustainable" supposed to last? ("sustainable forestry" is
> almost as vague as saying, "for the good of the children," or "relieve the
> burden of the poor.")
>
> Until we can really come to some sort of agreements of what our terms are
> and why we think they are important we might as well be arguing about how
> many angels can dance on the head of a pin or the true meaning of the
Nicean