Chestnut

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Fri Nov 26 23:40:07 EST 1999

truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:

> The following article is from The Oregonian, Nov. 25, 1999, Home &
> Gardens, p 22
>
> OVER OPEN FIRE OR IN OVEN, CHESTNUTS READY TO ROAST
>
> By Vern Nelson, in the column Hungry Gardener

<snip>

>        Although chestnut blight is a problem in the eastern United States,
> Hunter Carlton, owner of Bear Creek Nursery in Northport, Wash., says
> Northwest air is too dry to allow the spread of the blight (Endothia
> parasitica). In addition, Oregon has a quarantine against chestnuts from
> the East Coast.

<snip>

If you don't have one already, you should order a copy of the Bear Creek Nursery
Catalog.  It has a TERRIFIC selection of fruit and nut trees.  You can order it
online from http://www.gardennet.com/BearCreek/default.htm.  I'm in
Massachusetts, and I order all my nut trees from Bear Creek in WA.  They do just
fine here and just about everywhere in zones 4-6 (depending upon the cultivar).

--
Karl Davies, Practicing Forester
http://www.daviesand.com

Northeastern Forestry Reformation List Server
http://www.igc.topica.com/lists/nefr-list