Peripherals pay for forests

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Thu Oct 28 19:20:29 EST 1999

In article <7uiitc$401$1 at gxsn.com>,
  "John Spikes" <geogood at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> truffler is right that little or no or scornful regard is given to managing
> forests for anything other than macho stuff like pulp or logs or a chance to
> break a new&expensive bit of equipment .
Thanks!
fungi,moss,foliage,cones,contorted
> branches,bark,ANYTHING  pays better than raw timber ; maintains rather than
> traumatises the forest structure , and uses the energy of a man and a sack
> on his feet . How do you tell these suburban lumberjacks that wood is not
> the only dish .
Uh, er, I _am_ one of those "suburban lumberjacks" you speak of. Yikes!
But they don't call Portland, Oregon "Tree City" for nothing!
> I don't know whether it works right yet , but we have a
> website with a practical -aspect forum to start to drag some real solutions
> to the industrial version of lifeonearth , at www.goodstock.co.uk  . lets
> show that words of more than 2 syllables can come out of the Country ...
Amen! The problem with forestry is that loggers consider themselves
equals of foresters. Foresters grow (or should grow) trees. Loggers are
mostly concerned with how quickly trees can be cut down, converted to
pulp or board feet, and marketed.

Fortunately NTFP/SFP markets are developing quickly. It doesn't take a
rocket scientist (or even a competent logger) to figure out what Paul
Stamets has been saying for years:

"I hold in my hand about 1c worth of sawdust. From it is growing $10.00
worth of mushrooms. Which is more valuable?"

Unless you're making millions/mile of road to get to the site, the
answer is fairly simple. ;)

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com