Global Free Logging Agreement

Bob Taylor rtaylor at ns.net
Thu Oct 28 22:00:41 EST 1999

> I will not filter my belief in free trade just because of
> my "special interest". America's freedom is more important
> than my bank account. If my profession is the same as a dinosaur,
> let it die. If American timber growers and lumber producers
> can't compete in the world market, we deserve to wither away.

How else do you propose mediating competition between two radically
different systems for producing timber, such as the Canadian vs. U.S.
systems for harvest from public lands?  It seems to me that the Canadian
system is designed to produce a fixed volume from a given area of forest,
almost regardless of whether the market is up or down.

Bob Taylor