Urban Walnuts

John Paul Sanborn sanbornj at execpc.com
Fri Sep 3 20:13:52 EST 1999

I had another client (I'm an arborist) tell the tale that they were told
that the old walnuts in their back yard were so valuable that someone
would actually pay them to take the trees down.

Having no idea ad to what a verneer quality log looks like I tried to
gently let some air out of the balloon. These things are around 80 ft
tall, 25 in DBH and one looks clean to the first crotch at 12 ft. The
other is showing signs of a large column of decay  starting at about 15
ft and definitely going down to 10 ft.

would any one buy these for saw logs much less verneer due to the urban
setting?