Plane trees for timber

Ron Wenrich woodtick at
Wed Sep 15 17:29:55 EST 1999

TREEFARMER at wrote in message
<21585-37CDD1F1-29 at>...
Yes, we planted Sycamores for timber. I've heard some talk of veneering

Sycamore used to be used as veneer in berry baskets.  It also used to be
used as drawer siding in expensive furniture.  It is a naturally oily wood,
and would prevent squeaks.  It is also known as buttonwood, since early
buttons were carved from it.

Current uses tend to be for low grade lumber, since there is low demand.  We
saw all sycamore into pallet and RR ties.  Sycamore is prone to shake.  I've
also heard it is used for butcher blocks.  All niche markets.