Premiums on Certified Lumber

Karl Davies karl at
Fri Sep 17 14:51:03 EST 1999

Christopher Erickson wrote:

> Samuel J. Radcliffe <SamR at> wrote in message
> news:37E22BC2.4F5B901D at
> > Why worry about this? What's wrong with letting the market decide what's
> > "fair"?
>  Or to be more to the point:
> Why worry about this? The market _will_ decide this, regardless of what is
> fair.

Well, I guess the reason for worrying about it is economic.  If I'm going to
plunk down $5,000 to $10,000 to get certified as a forest manager, then I'd
want to see a reasonable chance of getting a return on that investment.  I'm
altruistic, but not THAT altruistic. <G>

And if it looked like the landowners and the mills were going to walk off with
all the profits from certification, why should I even bother thinking about
it?  Especially when it's me and the loggers who are the ones who are making
most of the effort, IMO.

Karl Davies, Silviculturist

Northeastern Forestry Reformation List Server