Global Warming revisited

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Mon Sep 20 00:20:31 EST 1999

In article <7s0ot7$lqk$2 at news.ipa.net>,
  "Jim" <PB45 at fcmail.com> wrote:
> After a quick visit to USGS & NASA pages' traeatment on the, I am reminded
> of the O2 contribution of the oceans.  El Nino has affected the vital
> plankton's ability to handle CO2.  Add in  depleted vegetative cover of all
> kinds, including loss of forest in temperate zones, increasing warm-up and
> allowing CO2 buildup.
> What happened to the unresolved discussions that weighed the influence of
> volcanic activity, which I believe one major eruption adds far more CO2 than
> any other source?  Considering that alone makes this a truly global one.
> It may be reforestation primarily enhances local microclimate factors,
> rather
> than global, significantly speaking.

Since I seldom get closer to an active volcano than I have to (I live on
the only dormant volcano within a major metropolitan area in the world),
I can neither verify nor deny the statement that volcanic CO2
significantly impacts atmospheric CO2. But I _do_ know that volcanic
activity produces massive quantities of S and SO, which rapidly becomes
H2S04 with the addition of water. S, SO and H2S04 are major greenhouse
gasses.

In addition to volcanoes, SO and SO2 are produced as byproducts of
gasoline, oil and coal burning.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/