Alley Cropping

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Wed Apr 12 00:54:59 EST 2000

In article <X9p84QS0BI4P092yn at xprt.net>,
  jko at xprt.net (Jeff Owens) wrote:
> truffler wrote:
> >I'm not _exactly_ sure what you mean by alley cropping. If this is
> >similar to strip harvesting, the the bulk of the data comes from New
> >Zealand and Scandinavia.
>
> Maybe alley cropping isn't the best description.  The idea is to
> coppice or pollard the alders and use the nitrogen rich leaves
> to grow other plants.  This could be a forest environment or
> a farm.  I've read reports from India where the leaf mulch and
> root action of alders was able to drive a sustainable farm and
> even provided browse for animals.
>
> >BTW, it is possible you have one or more forms of truffle with your
> >trees. The nitrogen fixing ability of legumes, long believed to be
> >exclusively the tree symbiosis with nitrogen-fixing bacteria, has now
> >been enlarged to reflect the mycorrhizal fungi which actually form the
> >root nodules on tree and other plant roots. On Red alder, Alpova
> >diplophloeus is a common mycorrhizal associate, and is quite edible is
> >its own right. Not having collected under Sitka alder, I'm unsure what
> >species of mycorrhizal fungi are involved.
>
> This year at Tree School i heard the claim that root nodes on alders
> were formed by actinomycetes (not bacteria or fungi)?.  I imagine
> the mycorrhizia fit somewhere in the picture but have no idea where.

Uh, not all mycorrhizae are actinomycetes. And few trees can survive
with mycorrhizae. (BTW, actinomycetes are fungi.) And anyone who says
otherwise just doesn't realize it yet. So consider the source. ;_)

> BTW, i took your truffle course last year and managed to dig up a
> few this year.  Strange, how i never noticed them before and now
> i see them everywhere.

Thanks. Always nice to be appreciated. BTW, the May forage for the North
American Truffling Society is to Paul Bishop's tree farm again. I can
almost guarantee finding truffles, if you can make it.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.