Ban on Special Forest Products?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Fri Apr 14 12:25:42 EST 2000

In article <20000413151121.04443.00000032 at ng-cv1.aol.com>,
  wilywood at aol.com (Wilywood) wrote:
> I am glad that you made a distinction between the lawsuit and section 339 on
> forest botanicals.  However I am bothered that you would then turn around and
> editorialize the provisions in the new act on the resolution on forest
> botanicals. No where in the language of the bill is mentioned "stiff fees."
I did not mention "stiff fees." But your post is a reply to my reply.
Please note whom you are replying to.
> This may be true for some permitted collection and not true for others.
It certainly appears pertinent to collection of any hypogeous species.
The chances that these will be collected by casual collectors is
unlikely. And collection of hypogeous fungi for scientific purposes is
already in. The real hassle is that collectors such as I must first go
get a permit to do this research, which then becomes available to the
Forest Service and BLM through the NATS database, which then becomes the
basis for letter other harvesters know where the product is at. Ergo,
there is little to no reason for me to contribute to the database, is
there?
  This
> still remains to be seen since the CFRs have not been released yet. In reality
> some of the permitting fees are already stiff, and may have to be reduced to
> meet the Fair market value requirement.  In other cases the fee may be raised.
> In both cases there might even be a provision stipulating no-fee non-commercial
> collection.  There is a lot of room for interpretation in the language of this
> section.
I think you may be missing the point. Neither the Forest Service nor the
BLM knows where or when many of the SFPs exist. It is difficult to
"manage" a resource you don't know exists. Currently there are
incentives for scientific collection and free permits exist for that
purpose. However, the vast amount of land necessary to cover precludes
detailed data.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/