Italian chestnuts

Rcjohnsen rcjohnsen at aol.com
Sat Apr 15 21:16:35 EST 2000

<< Subject: Italian chestnuts
From: truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Date: Sun, Apr 16, 2000 12:25 AM

Yesterday went to Paul Bishop's Tree Farm near Oregon City. Gifted Paul
several gallon pots which my sister started Italian chestnuts (sold
locally in a Fred Meyer store) two years ago. The trees were already
leafing out, and several had already expired from crowding, but still
had probably a total of 20-25 trees set out in Paul's arboretum. Got all
of them planted before a nice drenching rain came, so hope they do well.

A question comes to mind: what exactly are "Italian" chestnuts? How do
they differ from other species. In Oregon, we have a potpourri of
chestnut trees, which appear to cross-breed readily. Chinese chestnut
(Castanea sps?), Italian chestnut (Castanea sps?), Chinese chestnut
(Castanea sps?), and American chestnut (Castanea sps?) are all found
here, and produce some rather bizare offspring. The nuts are eaten
readily by much of the wildlife, including racoons, squirrels, deer,
elk, chipmunk, crows, and almost anything else than can find their way
through the seed covering spines.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

The American chestnut(Castanea dentata) has a web page at
http://chestnut.acf.org/   which you may know about.  Another site at
http://bee.airoot.com/beeculture/book/chap5/chestnut.html
and the Amer. Cooperators' Assoc dedicatedfor its restoration is at
http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/griffin/accf.html
More information at sites
http://www.ncnatural.com/NCNatural/trees/chestnut.html       and
http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/ODNR/Education/ohiotrees/chestnut.htm

Chestnuts and Chestnut trees FAQs
http://www.icserv.com/nnga/faqchest.htm

Amer. Chestnut links at
http://www.public.usit.net/ceengr/links.html

The Japanese chestnut (C. crenata)  and the Chinese chestnut(C. mallisima).  I
wondered if the Italian Chestnut you referred to is The European Chestnut???  I
didn't find much on these
regards,
Roger