Greenland glaciers present threat if Earth warms up, scientist says

truffler1635 at truffler1635 at
Sun Apr 23 19:54:07 EST 2000

In article <39032653.F7ED7262 at>,
  Mike Hagen <mhagen at> wrote:
> There may have been reason for Eric the Red to name the island what he
> did aside from real estate speculation.  I understand a warm period
> fueled the Viking expansion and grain (not to mention grapes) was grown
> at much higher latitudes than at present.
I believe that is true. But it was never very far inland. A solid ice
sheet covers most of Greenland. The last time a global warming event was
present, based on ice cores taken from Greenland, was several thousand
years ago.
> [Morels are out!]
Yeah. Ain's spring grand?

Daniel B. Wheeler