Greenland glaciers present threat if Earth warms up, scientist says

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Mon Apr 24 18:28:05 EST 2000

truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:

> From The Oregonian, April 19, 2000, pA17
>
> Greenland glaciers present threat if Earth warms up, scientist says
>
>         Scientist who have been watching the West Antarctic ice sheet for
> signs of melting say the bigger threat comes from glaciers in Greenland.
>         Curt Cuffey, a geographer at the University of California at
> Berkeley, said that Greenland's glaciers are more likely to melt with
> dire consequences as the Earth warms up. "If nothing is done to
> stabilize our climate, the sea levels rise as much as 6 meters (20
> feet), you'll flood the southern half of Florida, the southern half of
> Louisiana," Cuffey said. "A 2-degree global warming doesn't sound like
> much, but you have to realize the consequences can be really quite
> disastrous."

Is that 2 degrees F or 2 degrees C?  If you want to see what eventually
happens when temperatures increase by 2 degrees C, go to
http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Precautionary_Planning/New_Data/.  Looks
like the melting ice causes a shut down of the thermohaline circulation,
which ushers in the next glacial phase.  But who knows what the time scales
are?

KD