Greenland glaciers present threat if Earth warms up, scientist says

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sat Apr 29 19:17:29 EST 2000

In article <390B72A2.701DB864 at planttel.net>,
  ted at eaglering.com wrote:
> truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > In article <3904D885.F5A2C255 at daviesand.com>,
> >   Karl Davies <karl at daviesand.com> wrote:

> > > Is that 2 degrees F or 2 degrees C?  If you want to see what eventually
> > > happens when temperatures increase by 2 degrees C, go to
> > > http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Precautionary_Planning/New_Data/.  Looks
> > > like the melting ice causes a shut down of the thermohaline circulation,
> > > which ushers in the next glacial phase.  But who knows what the time scales
> > > are?
> > >
> > Excellent question Karl. And considerable difference between 2 degrees C
> > and F. But I believe the reference is to F. An examination of the
> > Greenland ice sheet last year, as measured from satellite survellance,
> > indicated a melting of 4 feet of ice in one year. This was attributed to
> > the unseasonably warm North Atlantic, as I recall.
> >
> > Daniel B. Wheeler
> > www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> We are reaching the mid-point between Ice Ages.
> So?
And your point that the majority of fossil fuel consumption has been in
the last 120 years is therefore just a coincidence, Ted? Best read the
article again for when the last such warming took place.

BTW, should such warming take place, make sure your home is above 36
elevation. Salvaging places like the Florida Keys, Everglades, many
Pacific islands, lower coastal areas (what's the elevation of
Manhattan?) _could_ be inundated. Certainly such areas will become more
prone to wave erosion (and those lighthouses along the eastern coast are
a real bummer to move). ;)