Greenland glaciers present threat if Earth warms up, scientist says

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sun Apr 30 10:24:56 EST 2000

In article <390B924D.29D3 at shire.uk>,
  queenof at themay wrote:
> pure scaremongering. If the earth warms up there will be more
> evaporation therefore more clouds therefore higher albedo therefore
> greater reflection of sunlight therefore global cooling: a feedback
> control mechanism.

True, kind of. If the earth warms, there will be greater evaporation,
and higher rainfalls worldwide, according to the reports I've seen from
scientists at Oregon State University. The problem _then_ becomes one of
a increasing loop effect: water vapor is another greenhouse gas.

You are right: eventually global cooling occurs. But it may take
millennia to do so. Right now, now one knows for sure. The last such
occurrence occured several thousand years ago, according to ice from the
Greenland ice cap.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/