TIMBER INDUSTRY EXPLOITS NORTHERN WILDFIRES

Larry Harrell fotoware at jps.net
Fri Aug 25 09:25:39 EST 2000

<truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:8o536k$lkh$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> The following editorial first ran in The Oregonian, Commentary Page, Aug.
> 22, 2000, p B13, and is posted here with permission of the author.
>
> TIMBER INDUSTRY EXPLOITS NORTHERN WILDFIRES
> The harp on roads and clearcutting, but those are just the things that
> make for a forest fire
>
> By THOMAS MICHAEL POWER

snip

> Commercial logging and the roads associated with it do not
> reduce the threat of wildfire. They do the opposite.
> Commercial logging does not remove dangerous fuel loads. Instead it
> takes the largest, most valuable and most fire-resistant trees, leaving
> behind a firetrap. Commercial logging is not a prescription for forest
> health; it is one of the major causes of unhealthy forest conditions.
> Until the forest products industry stops trying to insist that
> clear-cutting our public lands is necessary for the health of those
> lands, we will make no progress in restoring those lands.
>
> copright 2000, Thomas Michael Power

Commercial logging is not what it used to be. We CAN commercially thin
stands of timber, improving wildlife habitat, forest health and fire
resistence. Logging small understory trees CAN make a profit AND improve the
forests. This week, I took an entire roll of photos on a timber sale I've
been working on, utilizing "cut-to-length" logging machines that
"surgically" pick and pluck small trees out of the forest, driving over
their slash and causing very little soil disturbance. Seeing the finished
project, as opposed to the previous condition is really eye-opening.

The arguments about today's commercial logging no longer apply because small
trees DO make money and the larger, fire resistent trees MUST be left to
"save" today's forests. Dombeck's $12 billion proposal to thin out the
underbrush and small trees will be a first step towards saving our forests
from fire but, those same dynamic forests will need maintenance to keep them
healthy and fire resistent.

C'mon, people. We need to invest a massive amount into our forests. What do
you all think?

Larry,     out in the woods everyday

--
       Larry Harrell Fotoware
Making software out of Fotos for over five years now