TIMBER INDUSTRY EXPLOITS NORTHERN WILDFIRES

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sat Aug 26 18:40:49 EST 2000

In article <39A81188.6F84FE07 at olympus.net>,
  "Mike H." <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote:
> You'd think there are times when a poor market is good for the woods but
> there's no direct relation.  From what I've seem, private and public
> forest managers react to a soft market in opposite ways. Politics aside,
> public managers put up sales which don't sell, reducing the overall
> cutting rate.  Private ones put up more sales, maintaining cash flow by
> increasing the low priced volume.  And they'll hunt down outside sources
> of timber (hey, look - fire prevention sales!) rather than log theirs.
>
> This is normal behavior.

I may be normal in your experience, but it sure isn't normal in my
experience. A lot of people here in Oregon hold on and sometimes even do
some pruning when prices get low. (Of course, all good forest managers
prune their trees, don't there? ;)

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/