Pitch, resins, francinsence and myrrh

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Wed Dec 20 12:27:15 EST 2000

In article <nR206.11546$9T2.370670 at nntp1.onemain.com>,
  "Larry Harrell" <fotoware at jps.net> wrote:
> > >Some of the native trees whose aromas I am very fond of are:
> > >Western juniper
> > >Incense cedar
> > >White fir
> > >Grand fir
> > >Subalpine fir
> > >Shasta red fir
> > >Noble fir
> > >Sitka spruce
> > >Western hemlock
> > >Douglas fir
> > >Ponderosa pine
> > >Lodgepole pine
> > >Knobcone pine
> > >
> > >What are yours?
>
> I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Jeffrey Pine with it's strong
> vanilla flavor that many use to identify it. Don't forget the the wonderful
> smell of fresh California Laurel Bay leaves, too.

While I know _of_ Jeffrey pine (and probably have driven past it) I
haven't seen it up close and personal. It is not common in my area.

But I really should have included California laurel (aka Oregon myrtle)
which are used extensively in potpourri along with Western Redcedar
shavings.

BTW, the best recipe for fresh Dungeness crab uses a single Oregon myrtle
leave in the cooking water. SUPERB!

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com