Pitch, resins, francinsence and myrrh

dwheeler at my-deja.com dwheeler at my-deja.com
Thu Dec 28 02:41:59 EST 2000

In article <MPG.14b3d8b780cdc94498ad6d at news.teleport.com>,
  Larry Caldwell <larryc at teleport.com> wrote:
> In article <91qq58$ag2$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, truffler1635 at my-deja.com
> writes:
>
> > While I know _of_ Jeffrey pine (and probably have driven past it) I
> > haven't seen it up close and personal. It is not common in my area.
>
> Check out Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana (Port Orford Cedar) sometime.  It has
> a delightful aroma.  Unfortunately, the tree is headed for extinction.
> Most Port Orford Cedar forests have been closed to all unsterilized
> equipment and vehicular access, so it is hard to find one to sniff.  Even
> the mud on your boots could carry the blight in, so getting access to
> Port Orford Cedar is quite a challenge.
>
> I tried planting one in my yard once, but it died almost immediately.

Actually, I have Larry. My parents planted several nearly 50 years ago,
and they still seem to be surviving. Oddly, they are planted on land my
grandmother donated to the local school district nearly 50 years ago.
Even with all the footprints (I still remember climbing those trees a
recess), random destruction and abundant abuse by children, they still
continue on. But they are terribly isolated, and at least 150 miles from
the nearest native tree that I am aware of. BTW, the reason I didn't list
it is the same reason I didn't list Dawn redwood and Yellow cedar: all
are quite rare in Oregon, and probably should not be harvested in any
amount. Kind of self-defeating in a ng called bionet.agroforestry,
wouldn't you say?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com