Aquaculture (was Re: agroforestry question)

DVK dvank at michweb.net
Wed Feb 2 14:32:42 EST 2000

truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <22596-3896DA08-9 at storefull-121.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
>   TREEFARMER at webtv.net wrote:
> > As "dvank" pointed out there are other species that will thrive in wet
> > areas such as arborvitae. Down here though, with this species, it will
> > usually be stripped by bagworms in short order. Red Cedar does best
> > here.
> > Yes we did plant other species such as Sycamore in areas we knew to be
> > wet and they have done well. And, yes we do hunt deer but not with guns
> > anymore as urban sprawl has made it too dangerous.
> >
> Well then, it sounds as if agrofishery may be an option. Aquaculture is
> a booming industry, provided you think it through ahead of time. With
> fish harvests along the coast in remission and salmon runs threatened,
> catfish, tilapia, trout, perch, and other food fish have considerable
> possibilities, _provided_ there is a deep enough pond to provide for
> them, and given a year-round source of water. Seeps may or may not
> provide enough water for such occupations.
>
> I have considered this possibility extensively myself. My family has an
> artesian well which can produce over 300 gal/min. The family partnership
> considered using the well as an economic source of bottled water, but
> quickly ran afoul of additives in the water. However, the field the well
> is in has several natural "springs" which seldom dry up except in
> summer, providing minimal water for some forbes and causing many
> tractors to get stuck during field preparation. The field is currently
> in hay production, but even baling or removing the hay can be hazardous
> to vehicles.
>
> An obvious solution, I thought, was to construct small coffer dams or
> dig-out larger fish ponds with a large caterpillar. But this suggstion
> brought up many other problems: in Oregon, a pond can become state
> property if no economic fish production takes place quickly. And getting
> the permits necessary to create a 1-5 acre pond in Oregon is equally
> problematic. However, with some 27 acres available, it may be possible
> to create a series of fish-rearing ponds, all fed by the single artesian
> well already on the site. And yet...digging ponds may be as problematic
> as anything else, since the construction phase may break through a clay/
> kaolin layer which acts as a stopper to the water leaking out.
>
> I'd love to hear about others experience with forestry and aquaculture.

Dr. Philip Lee of UTMB, Galveston,TX has been a champion in promoting
AUTOMATION for aquaculture applications.  He focuses on using available (off
the shelf) technology and has been trying to get the message across to the
industry that 1.  Automation is NOT rocket science.  2.  You need NOT pay
millions to implement automatic control systems.  and 3.  There definitely IS
a return on investment for doing so (especially in Salt Water applications).