Agroforesters needed in NZ? (Was: Re: [Scoop] Scientists Refute Government Spin-Campaign)

John Cawston rewarewa at ihug.co.nz
Fri Feb 4 19:07:38 EST 2000

Brian Sandle wrote:

> In nz.politics John Cawston <rewarewa at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> : Brian Sandle wrote:
>
> : Snipped
>
> :>
> :> Euan Mason is supposed to be doing agroforestry teaching. How well is
> :> agroforestry getting to the Lincoln University agriculture students?
>
> Since some of the benefits of agroforestry take a few years to accrue it
> would seem good for young farmer managers to be familiar with it.

Snipped definitions etc.

The definitions and info you supply shows quite clearly that NZ is well to
the forefront of the theory and practice of Agroforestry. More than that, we
have been practicing it for for well over 100 years and have an enormous
data base with which to evaluate it. For the last 30 years, there has been
intense scientific study of it.

In fact, in the national competitions to establish the "Young Farmer of the
Year", there are oral questions and practical competitions on silviculture.

With regard to using our indigenous slow growing species like rimu or tawa,
or faster species like the beeches, thats a well established practice. In
fact I'm putting in several kilometers of shelter for a client over the next
year or two.

However, to use rimu (with a maturing age of several hundred years) in
conjunction with agriculture and calling this an economic version of
agroforestry is drawing a pretty long bow, except where you are retiring
uneconomic parts of the property to natives or using them as shelter
(usually in conjunction with faster growing trees).

My point is, agroforestry in NZ is very well known to landowners and
farmers.

JC