Sen. McCain Is No Friend of the Forests

Samuel J. Radcliffe SamR at GBandCO.com
Fri Feb 18 13:13:42 EST 2000

First of all, let's not get into the accusatory tone that so often in
this list turns to idiotic personal attacks. I wasn't suggesting
anything. I was just interested in your views on forestland conversion,
because so many in our profession feel that forest per se is sacrosanct.

I personally enjoy a lot of our built environment (including red pine
plantations ;-), but I happen to agree with you, strip malls are a much
worse blight on the landscape than even the clearcuts that you have
spoken against. Yes, I'm all for intelligent zoning. Many in our
profession are just as blindly opposed to zoning as they are blindly in
favor of no forest conversion at all.

Here's an example of unintelligent zoning. One local community which has
been in the process of "gentrifying" former ag land north of Milwaukee
over the last couple of decades is considering zoning to preserve some
of the former green character. Their solution? To limit lot sizes to no
smaller than 5 acres, thereby assuring that there is no high density
residential areas, but also assuring that every lot in the village will
be occupied! My solution would have been to allow higher density
development (with central markets, etc., not strip malls) in part of the
village, but restrict other areas so that expansive green space might be
preserved. Needless to say, I'm not in charge and there are probably
some decent arguments against my scheme, but I don't think their
solution represents "intelligent zoning" either.

One thing I am curious about. Knowing how you feel about "burros", who
would you trust to do intelligent zoning? I think this is the root of
some foresters' distaste for zoning.

...Sam

--
Samuel J. Radcliffe