Timber via Tierra Del Fuego

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sat Feb 19 19:41:19 EST 2000

In article <38AE25C5.9B9FDE38 at daviesand.com>,
  Karl Davies <karl at daviesand.com> wrote:

> truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > From The Oregonian, Feb. 16, 2000, p D1
> >
> > Timber via Tierra Del Fuego
> >
> > Two Portland executives help a Bellingham logging company launch a huge,
> > controversial project in South America
>
>  A Bellingham logging company?  Aren't they a subsidiary of Weyerhaeuser?
>
> <snip>
>
> >         That's when the company turned to Capital Consultants Inc., a
> > Portland money manager, and Harry Merlo, the former Louisiana-Pacific
> > Corp. chief executive who now works as an industry consultant.
>
> Ah yes, Harry Merlo, late of Louisiana-Pacific, the "Ultimate Tree Nazi."  See
> http://bari.iww.org/iu120/local/corporate.html and click on his smiling
> slimeball face for more info on his views and "values."

We disagree on the term "slimeball", Karl. Henry may be a lot of things:
he certain was interested in getting as much out of the forests as
possible. But L-P was also among the first to start leaving large woody
debris on the ground when it was shown that harvesting and chipping
everything was bad for their bottom line.

I believe I met him once: he was riding a bus with his secretary. I
overheard the conversation and noted that nobody grew trees without
growing mycorrhizal fungi. He asked if that statement had documentation.
I replied that 20 years of experimentation at Oregon State University
backed it up, and to check with Dr. James Trappe at Oregon State
University. Within 2 months afterward, L-P announced it would no longer
clearcut more than 100 acre parcels; nor chip all large woody debris. A
significant portion of other major timber companies in the NW followed,
including Weyerhauser and others.

While I have strong disagreements with L-P management, these are
management decisions initiated after Henry had left L-P. As for the
"environmental" people at the website you quote, they have grown no
mycorrhizal fungi either. So they have approximately the same amount of
knowledge needed to grow trees as current L-P leadership: i.e. none to
speak of.

Of the quotes attributed to Henry Merlo, most are things I would have
said also. But it is important to keep the whole context of the
statements. L-P is a company involved in making a profit for its
stockholders. I see nothing wrong with that. I would hope they would
plan a little more for the future, though.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.