logging wood with horses

Doug Bartley further at inh.co.jp
Tue Feb 22 09:30:04 EST 2000

You can find a lot of information about what you seek at the following

(found by searching on the term "horse logging")

In following various links from that site one of the more
interesting articles found was about a guy in Kentucky who
is logging with horses, operating a mini-sawmill (transportable
to job sites) and cultivating mushrooms on sawdust & woodchips.
The capital investment to do *all* of the above is substantially
less (well under half) of what even a modest conventional logging
operation alone would require. Waste is minimized - even a couple
can add considerable value to raw materials and retain a portion
for their efforts and there are considerable advantages from
an environmental standpoint.

Anyway, very much along the lines of what I want to get going (also
in Kentucky), so anyone interested please give me a shout.

Doug Bartley
Hamamatsu, Japan