logging wood with horses

Doug Bartley further at inh.co.jp
Tue Feb 22 09:30:04 EST 2000

You can find a lot of information about what you seek at the following
site:

http://www.ruralheritage.com/

(found by searching on the term "horse logging")

In following various links from that site one of the more
interesting articles found was about a guy in Kentucky who
is logging with horses, operating a mini-sawmill (transportable
to job sites) and cultivating mushrooms on sawdust & woodchips.
The capital investment to do *all* of the above is substantially
less (well under half) of what even a modest conventional logging
operation alone would require. Waste is minimized - even a couple
individuals
can add considerable value to raw materials and retain a portion
for their efforts and there are considerable advantages from
an environmental standpoint.

Anyway, very much along the lines of what I want to get going (also
in Kentucky), so anyone interested please give me a shout.

Regards,

Doug Bartley
Hamamatsu, Japan