CFP: ECAI2000 Workshop on Binding Environmental Sciences and AI (BESAI2000)

Miquel Sànchez i Marrè miquel at lsi.upc.es
Tue Feb 29 11:41:55 EST 2000

Please, distribute it as appropiate

                           BESAI 2000 - Workshop
                                     on
                    (W7) Binding Environmental Sciences
                                    and
                          Artificial Intelligence

                              August 21, 2000
                            Berlin, Germany, EU

                  A workshop held in conjunction with the

  Fourteenth Biennial European Conference on Artificial Intelligence
                                (ECAI 2000)

                  August 20-25, 2000, Berlin, Germany, EU

       Kindly
      supported       BESAI [Image]              ACIA [Image]
         by:

Workshop Information

   * What the workshop is about
   * Format of the Workshop
   * Instructions for Participants
   * Instructions for Submissions
   * Important Dates
   * Workshop Notes
   * Workshop Committee
   * Address for Submissions and Further Information
   * Related events

What the workshop is about

The BESAI 2000 workshop recognizes the critical importance of
environment
and resource issues and their relationships with artificial intelligence

(AI) research. The workshop's central focus is the linkage between
patterns
of AI activity and the environment with a major emphasis on translating
the
scientific basis for environmental concern into techniques and
strategies
that address both the needs of human societies and the requirements of
natural systems. The workshop intends to create a discussion platform
for
AI and environmental science researchers.

Research activities presented within the workshop may come from all
environmental science fields, showing how AI approaches can be useful to

the design and management of environmental systems. Papers presented
within
the workshop should examine:

     the link between AI research development and environmental
     degradation;

     AI efforts applied to environment management, resource policy
     development and environmental impact reduction;

     the role of AI in responding to environmental challenges and
     preventing environmental problems;

     the creation and application of Environmental Decision Support
     Systems (EDSSs) (e.g., systems for the management of hazard
     identification, risk assessment and evaluation);

     integration and distribution of AI techniques applied to
     environmental issues;

     environmental knowledge acquisition and management;

     ontologies of environmental domains;

     real-time in environment management.

New and improved techniques or methods, as well as innovative
applications,
are welcome. Presentations of the current state of ongoing research
projects and contributions emphasizing integration of various
technologies
or paradigms are specially welcome.

Note that there is a companion workshop on Artificial Intelligence in
Agriculture and Natural Resources (W33) that, as its name indicates,
focusses on agricultural and natural resources problems with no explicit

commitment to environmental impacts. In order to encourage participation
in
both workshops, they will be organized on two consecutive days.

Back to the index

Format of the Workshop

The workshop is organized as a one-day event. Special emphasis will be
devoted to application issues and the exchange of experiences.
Presentations will be grouped into sections to foster focused
discussions.
An invited talk may be included. The workshop schedule will provide time

for specific discussions directly after each presentation as well as for

extended, more general exchange of ideas between sessions. Some of the
attendees will be asked to serve as session commentators who summarize
and
critically reflect on the presentations of a session. In the
presentations,
to include an introductory slide answering the following 4 questions is
suggested:

1) What is the environmental problem we are trying to solve?
2) What AI methods are we applying to solve the problem and how are we
applying them?
3) How well are the methods working?
4) How are we evaluating the work done?

Back to the index

Instructions for Participants

All participants in BESAI 2000 workshop have to register both for the
main
ECAI 2000 conference and the workshop itself. Workshop attendance will
be
limited to registered participants.

Authors planning to submit a contribution to BESAI 2000 should contact
as
soon as possible to the Workshop Committee by e-mail. A provisional
title
and abstract have to be provided, including description of ongoing
research
projects as well as applications in the area of study.

Each manuscript will be reviewed by 3 reviewers. The reviewers can be
selected among the contributors.

Notification of acceptance will be sent by April 28, 2000. Final
camera-ready manuscripts, revised according to the suggestions of the
reviewershave to be received by the Workshop Organizing Committee no
later
than June 2, 2000.

Back to the index

Instructions for Submissions

Interested contributing authors have to submit manuscripts addressing
issues that are clearly relevant to the workshop theme and an additional

brief (1 page) description of their ongoing research projects.

Authors have to send 3 copies of their original manuscript or an
electronic
version (word file, PDF or Unix printable postscript) to the Workshop
Committee by March 24, 2000.

The style recommended for submission of papers and required for the
camera-ready paper version for BESAI 2000 is described in an example
paper
available as a postscript document and a PDF document. LaTeX style files

are also provided, including the source for the guidelines paper.

Submissions must not exceed 10 pages in camera-ready format (9 point
body
text size). Each half-page of figures will be counted as 600 words. The
manuscript has to start with an abstract of no more than 150 words and
should include a list of about five keywords. Authors submitting
unformatted papers must include a word count on their paper. Over length

submissions will be rejected without review.

Submissions will be peer reviewed by 3 referees. Following the
recommendations of the reviewers, authors of accepted papers will have
submit a camera-ready paper and to prepare a presentation. Presentations

will be grouped into sections to foster focused discussions.

In addition to the camera ready paper for the Workshop Notes, that will
be
distributed at the workshop, authors have to prepare an electronic
version
of their paper and make it available prior to the workshop.

Back to the index

Important Dates

   * March 24, 2000 - Deadline for submission of papers
   * April 28, 2000 - Notification of acceptance/rejection
   * June 2, 2000 - Final revised camera-ready copies
   * August 21, 2000 - Workshop

Back to the index

Workshop Notes

In adtion to the workshop note it is planned to publish some selected
material based or derived from the workshop on other formats (book,
special
issue of a journal). Selected authors will have the opportunity to
revise
and extend their contributions.

Back to the index

Workshop Committee

Co-chairs

   * Ulises Cortés, Artificial Intelligence section, Technical
University
     of Catalonia, Catalonia (ia at lsi.upc.es)
   * Miquel Sànchez-Marrè, Artificial Intelligence section, Technical
     University of Catalonia, Catalonia (miquel at lsi.upc.es)

Committee

   * René Bañares-Alcántara, Escola Tècnica Superior d'Enginyeria
Química,
     Universitat Rovira i Virgili (rbanares at etseq.urv.es)
   * L. Karl Branting, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Wyoming,

     USA (karl at uwyo.edu)
   * Ulises Cortés, Artificial Intelligence section, Technical
University
     of Catalonia, Catalonia (ia at lsi.upc.es)
   * Saso Dzeroski, Dept. of Computer Science, Josef Stefan Institute,
     Ljubljana, Slovenia (saso.dzeroski at ijs.si)
   * François Guerrin, Inra/Cirad, La Reunion, France (guerrin at cirad.fr)

   * Manel Poch, Laboratory of Chemical and Environmental Engineering,
     University of Girona, Catalonia (mpoch at lequia.udg.es)
   * Yoram Reich, Dept. of Solid Mechanics, Materials and Structures,
Tel
     Aviv University, Israel (yoram at eng.tau.ac.il)
   * David Riaño, Dept. of Software, Universitat Rovira i Virgili
     Catalonia(drianyo at etse.urv.es)
   * Ignasi R-Roda, Laboratory of Chemical and Environmental
Engineering,
     University of Girona, Catalonia (ignasi at lequia.udg.es)
   * Miquel Sànchez-Marrè, Artificial Intelligence section, Technical
     University of Catalonia, Catalonia, Spain (miquel at lsi.upc.es)
   * Jean Philippe Steyer, Laboratory of Environmental Biotechnology
(LBE),
     INRA Narbonne, France (steyer at ensam.inra.fr)
   * Peter Struss, Dept. of Computer Science, Technical University of
     Munich, Germany (struss at in.tum.de)

Back to the index

Address for Submissions and Further Information

Proposals have to be submitted electronically (Unix compatible
postscript,
PDF or Word for Windows) to both co-chairs Ulises Cortés and Miquel
Sànchez-Marrè, at the following address:

Ulises Cortés / Miquel Sànchez-Marrè
Artificial Intelligence section
Dept. of Software
Technical University of Catalonia (UPC)
Campus Nord - Edifici C5
Jordi Girona 1-3
E-08034 Barcelona
Catalonia, Spain
Voice: + 34 . 93 401 70 16 / + 34 . 93 401 73 34
Fax: + 34 . 93 401 70 14
e-mail: ia at lsi.upc.es, miquel at lsi.upc.es

Further information on ECAI 2000 is available at the ECAI 2000 home
page.

The URL of this Workshop home page is
http://www.lsi.upc.es/~webia/besai/besai2000.html

Back to the index

O-O-O  Dr. Miquel Sanchez-Marre
|\ /|  Seccio d'Intel.ligencia Artificial
O-O-O  Dept. de Llenguatges i Sistemes Informatics
|   |  Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC)
O-O-O  Edifici C5-Campus Nord                Ph: + 34-93 401 73 34
       Jordi Girona 1-3                     Fax: + 34-93 401 70 14
U P C  08034 Barcelona                           miquel at lsi.upc.es
       Catalonia, Spain             http://www.lsi.upc.es/~miquel/