EPA rulings on Non-point

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Tue Jan 4 00:11:34 EST 2000

In article <38707144.92FDE3EF at forestmeister.com>,
redoak at forestmeister.com writes:

> What improved the environments had NOTHING WHATEVER TO DO WITH CAPITALISTS it had
> to do with your so called eco-nuts who fought for those enviro laws because those
> capitalists by themselves with their woodchuck and other right wing idiot
> "intellectual defenders" would never in a billion years have pushed for good enviro
> laws.

If you had the brains god gave a chipmunk, you wouldn't be spouting
nonsense like that.  The Oregon Forest Practices Act was written by the
wood products industry, and is pretty damned good environmental law.  It
includes protection of streams, fish, wildlife, mandatory reforestation
and bans all harvesting or pesticide application until a plan is filed
with the State Forestry Department.  The land owners and mill owners did
a really good thing, long before the hippiedippie tree huggers came along
clutching their ignorance.

The only problem being that the Feds decided they didn't have to adhere
to state laws, so they did any damned thing they wanted to do and made a
royal mess of things.  Absentee landlord, don't ya know?  If the feds
would divest of all those forest holdings, things would be managed a
whole lot better.  After 20 years of public debate, the feds *still*
don't have the foggiest idea what they are doing.

The Bozons in DC have completely lost touch with reality if they think
they can treat logging as a point source of turbidity.  They may as well
treat the whole river as a point source of pollution.  When you have
rivers that drop thousands of feet in just a 100 mile run to the sea and
are next to the north Pacific and its storms, turbidity is just a fact of
life.  If you want the mud to settle out, you have to go back to flooding
hundreds of square miles of bottom land so the water doesn't run so fast.
Of course, the bottom lands are now covered with cities, but as long as
everyone keeps a boat in the garage it shouldn't be too bad.

It's just one more case of hippiedippie "I want YOU to clean up MY
environment."  Nothing is going to get fixed until they assume
responsibility for their own actions rather than blaming somebody
thousands of miles away.

-- Larry