Rhodies... was Re: fox hunting

savage savage at easynet.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 17:12:23 EST 2000

"Todd M. Bolton" wrote:

> From what I saw while touring, I believe the varieties that are most
> invasive, at least in Devon and Cornwall, are Rhododendron catawbiense and
> R. maximum from the mid Atlantic US mountain ranges.  Most of the rest of
> Rhodies available on the market were hybridized to the point that they no
> longer produce viable seed.

I lived in Cornwall for a few years. The most invasive things there are
ignorant businessmen masquerading as farmers, conceited conservationist
business people, and profiteering developers masquerading as councillors
doing their best for the local people. Rhodies, gorse, brambles and nettles
seem to be the only thing that stops the entire place being totalled by
tourists each summer as well.

Andy