Rhodies... was Re: fox hunting

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Tue Jan 18 21:17:17 EST 2000

In article <3882DDC7.2BD7 at oldforest.eu>, .goldberryshouse at oldforest.eu
writes:

> Rodos poison sheep but goats will eat them. Native to Himalayas, cool,
> moist, hence a weed in Welsh National Parks

Also native to the Pacific Northwest of North America.  There is a town
on Mt. Hood named Rhododendron, and a town in Southern Oregon named
Azalea (closely related).  The mountains can be beautiful when the
rhodies are in blossom.

In areas where they are native I don't know that they create any
problems.  They are just one more woody shrub that colonizes behind
forest fires and logging operations.  While they are mildly toxic, the
native fauna doesn't seem to suffer from them at all.  Exotic toxic weeds
like tansy ragwort cause a lot more grief in the animal kingdom.

-- Larry