agroforestry question

TREEFARMER at webtv.net TREEFARMER at webtv.net
Fri Jan 21 22:49:14 EST 2000

understanding that the legume (in this case Locust) must be killed for
the nitrogen to be released. Some years back we interplanted Black
Walnuts with Black Locust. The idea was to eventually kill out the Black
Locust to fertilize the Black Walnuts. Needless to say, the Black Locust
beat out the Black Walnuts so fast that they effectively choked out the
Walnuts. It may have worked on a better site, but why waste space on a
good site growing Black Locust.

Truffler, I'm glad you responded to this problem as I'm running out of
reasons for low yields in seeps (wet areas). Lack of mycorrhizal fungi
or some bacteria in seeps seems to be the yield limiter whether one is
talking of grain yields or board feet.

What can one do to better the environment for these fungi?

Using several years of GPS yield monitoring equipment and mapping we've
found that yields can't be increased by increasing potash and potassium
amounts. Also, deep tillage has helped little. The only thing that has
helped is tiling, but to date the tiled areas can't match the better
areas of the  field. Even as severe as the drought was here last year it
was still a 3/4 average yield year. It seems like soil temperature may
have something to do with it but I haven't had a chance to study this
realm yet. Sometimes in constructing dry dams for water control as
little as a few inches are removed for construction of the dam. Yields
in these areas are drastically decreased eventhough there is plenty of
"topsoil" left. There seems to be something very important in the top
few inches of the soil that contributes significantly to the crops
yield.  I guess I've taken up enough space.