Rhodies... was Re: fox hunting

Nancy Padberg padberg at uswest.net
Sun Jan 23 01:38:48 EST 2000

In article <MPG.12eebe837a11f50a98a5d6 at news.teleport.com>,
larryc at teleport.com says...
> Also native to the Pacific Northwest of North America.  There is a town
> on Mt. Hood named Rhododendron, and a town in Southern Oregon named
> Azalea (closely related).  The mountains can be beautiful when the
> rhodies are in blossom.
>
> In areas where they are native I don't know that they create any
> problems.  They are just one more woody shrub that colonizes behind
> forest fires and logging operations.  While they are mildly toxic, the
> native fauna doesn't seem to suffer from them at all.  Exotic toxic weeds
> like tansy ragwort cause a lot more grief in the animal kingdom.

We live just a couple of miles from Rhododendron, Oregon and was amazed
to read this thread on "invasive" Rhododendrons.  Never thought of them
in that way.  We have a bit over 2 acres and have only 3 native Rhodies.
In the 2 years we've lived here, I have seen just one bloom.  English Ivy
and vinca are the real threats around here.  We have about 100 native
plants on our property and hope those invasive plants that are about
300ft from our property stay where they are.  Not sure how to prevent the
spread.  I just don't think the delicate Calypso bulbosa (Fairy slippers)
and Goodyera oblongifolia (Rattlesnake plantain) could withstand the
onslaught.

I planted a madrone this year in a dry, sunny spot.  Thought it would be
beautiful with a background of tall Western hemlocks.  I hope it grows
well here at 1500ft up the west side of Mt. Hood.

The Kalmiopsis Wilderness in the Siskiyous is one of the places I want to
see before I leave this earth.  So much diversity in one place!

Take care,
Nancy
--
Prime Images Photography