The Rainforest Myth

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Sun Jul 2 06:31:18 EST 2000

daugh at home.msen.com wrote:

> Forwarded from the New Paradigms Project [Not Necessarily Endorsed]:

That's good to know.

> From: Ken <ken1 at BRESNANLINK.NET>
> To: <LA-AGORA at MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU>
> Subject:      The Rainforest Myth
> Date: Monday, June 26, 2000 10:39 AM
>
> AMAZON.CON -- Part 1
> Shaky science behind
> save-rainforest effort
> New TV documentary finds
> skeptics among researchers
>
> Editor's note: Through a special arrangement with the producers of the
> television newsmagazine American Investigator, WorldNetDaily brings you this
> exclusive news report. Part one of this two-part series focuses on questions
> about the scientific integrity of environmentalists. The series concludes
> tomorrow in WorldNetDaily.
> By Marc Morano and Kent Washburn
> © 2000, WorldNetDaily.com, Inc.
>
> Patrick Moore became an instant celebrity in 1977 when a photograph showing
> him cradling a baby seal in defiance of arrest by Canadian authorities was
> broadcast around the world.

Fast forward to 2000.  Now he's a big celebrity for providing oral services to
big timber corporados in British Columbia.

That was then.  This is now: http://www.fanweb.org/patrick-moore/index.shtml .

> Today the environmental scientist and leader of a group called Greenspirit
> has a new cause -- alerting the public to what he calls the "myth" that the
> Amazon rainforest is endangered by development and deforestation.
> "The Amazon is actually the least endangered forest in the world," states
> Moore in American Investigator's television newsmagazine documentary,
> "Clear-cutting the myths," hosted by former CBS and CNN newsman Reid
> Collins. Moore explains that, in the 20 years of warnings about
> deforestation, "only 10 percent of the Amazon has been converted to date
> from what was original forest to agriculture and settlement."

Perhaps.  But how much has been high-graded?  That's where you (timber
corporado) go in, cut the best and leave the rest.

> The finding that the Amazon rainforest threat is a myth based on bad science
> and political agendas -- especially by unlikely critics such as Moore, other
> scientists

Moore is not a scientist.  He's a propagandist.

> and inhabitants of the region -- is not expected to sit well with
> a movement that has enlisted schoolchildren throughout the United States and
> celebrities ranging from Sting to Alex Baldwin to Chevy Chase to Tom Jones
> and Tony Bennett. And which has also raised tens of millions of dollars for
> environmental activist groups.
> "This is where I really have a problem with modern-day environmentalism,"
> says Moore. "It confuses opinion with what we know to be true, and disguises
> what are really political agendas with environmental rhetoric. The fact of
> the matter is: There is a larger percentage of the Amazon rain forest intact
> than there are most other forests in this world."

Some benchmark.  ALL the world's forests are in sorry shape thanks to the timber
corporados that fund the likes of Patty Moore.

<snip>

> Philip Stott of the University of London and author of the new book,
> "Tropical Rainforests: Political and Hegemonic Myth-making," maintains that
> the environmental campaigns have lost perspective.
> "One of the simple, but very important, facts is that the rainforests have
> only been around for between 12,000 and 16,000 years," he says. "That sounds
> like a very long time, but in terms of the history of the earth, it's hardly
> a pinprick. The simple point is that there are now still -- despite what
> humans have done -- more rainforests today than there were 12,000 years
> ago."

Great, another wonderful benchmark: THE LAST ICE AGE.  But it is good to keep
things in perspective.  Timber corporados have only been around for what, 100
years?  Why not wipe them out instead of the rainforests?

> Moore maintains that "the rainforests of the Amazon, the Congo, Malaysia,
> Indonesia and a few other parts of the world are the least endangered
> forests" because "they are the least suitable for human habitation."

Perhaps, but they're great for high-grading.  These are exactly the places where
the big timber corporados want to go in and do their thing.  They have obviously
funded Moore and Stott to run a little interference for them.

<much more propaganda snipped>

Karl Davies, Practicing Forester
http://www.daviesand.com