Greenland glaciers present threat if Earth warms up, scientist says

Graham Willers glwill at dialstart.net
Wed Jun 7 11:28:39 EST 2000


<truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:8h5q5e$uit$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <39285006.E80EFD0C at planttel.net>,
>   ted at eaglering.com wrote:
> > Jeff Owens wrote:
> > >
> > > >And just what in hell does any of this have to do with forestry?
> > >
> > > The impact of global warming on forestry has been studied for
> > > this area (PNW) by a group at the University of Washington
> > > and they published a summary called "Impacts of Climate
> > > Change".  They looked at what has occurred so far and compared
> > > it to seven climate models.  The results strongly suggested
> > > that forestry will continue to be impacted in the areas of
> > > pests, selection of trees, fire control, and possibly erosion
> > > control techniques.  Since this is already occurring it isn't a
> > > question of IF, more a question of how big the impact will
> > > be.
> > >
> >
> > BS.
> >
> > I've been around a long time, son. The climate is different every few
> > years.
> >
> And you've been keeping records for how many years?
>
> This is the typical naysayer argument against global warming. "There's
> no verifiable climatic change since records have been kept." Well,
> records haven't been around very long. So what's your point?
>
> The reality remains: the decade of the 1990s has been the warmest on
> record. Disagree if you like, but it doesn't change the facts.
>

It is a source of some amazement to us in Europe that the US - normaly
pretty much to the fore in most respects - can be so far behind European
thinking on climate change.
To give an example; in Spain the whole forestry business has been going
through some pretty massive changes for years, due to the impact of global
warming over the last decade. They are not still arguing over whether or not
it is happening - they - like the rest of Europe - did that in the mid 80's.
Now they are trying to cope with the unprecedented increase in forest fires
which has led to very serious erosion problems - especially in the region of
Murcia - but all over the country to a greater or lesser degree.
They are building low level contour walling on hillsides and changing
species and systems all over the country. It is generaly accepted that the
desertification of central southern Spain - which is there for you to see
with your own eyes - will continue to spread as it has been doing for a
decade or more now.
In Britain the last 3-day seminar and AGM of the Institute of Chatered
Foresters was devoted entirely to the new systems and species we are
adopting in order to minimise the effects of the climate change. The ICF are
not exactly renowned for their radical thinking - being a pretty
conservative bunch of people.
Our oak trees (Q.Robur) are now leafing 22 days earlier than they were in
1965 for example ( thats a verifiable record if ever there was one ! ) and
our beech tree population in the south of England is in serious trouble due
to repeated droughts. We recommend that noone bothers planting beech trees
anymore as they are very unlikely to survive more than 50 years.
Climate change has got everything to do with forestry! It is 'forestry' at
its worst that has helped to bring it about in the first place.
The climate has fluctuated extremely violently in the past - up 4C in 30
years in one period - so why are the Americans so sceptical that it is
happening again? The evidence is right under your noses. I just don't get
it.

GW
Scotland
















More information about the Ag-forst mailing list