Greenland glaciers present threat if Earth warms up, scientist says

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Fri Jun 9 20:04:06 EST 2000

Posted to alt.forestry, bionet.agroforestry, nerf-list, saf-news.  KD

Graham Willers wrote:

<snip>

> It is a source of some amazement to us in Europe that the US - normaly
> pretty much to the fore in most respects - can be so far behind European
> thinking on climate change.

It basically has to do with the predilection of US "elected" officials and the
US press for performing oral services for corporate honchos.  They get paid very
well for performing these services, and they seem to enjoy it.  The honchos say
stuff like "There is no such thing as climate change." and "Well, if there is
such a thing as climate change, it's a good thing."  Then the officials and the
press get down on their knees, open their mouths, and say "Yes, boss, how can I
help you spread the word?"

> To give an example; in Spain the whole forestry business has been going
> through some pretty massive changes for years, due to the impact of global
> warming over the last decade. They are not still arguing over whether or not
> it is happening - they - like the rest of Europe - did that in the mid 80's.
> Now they are trying to cope with the unprecedented increase in forest fires
> which has led to very serious erosion problems - especially in the region of
> Murcia - but all over the country to a greater or lesser degree.
> They are building low level contour walling on hillsides and changing
> species and systems all over the country. It is generaly accepted that the
> desertification of central southern Spain - which is there for you to see
> with your own eyes - will continue to spread as it has been doing for a
> decade or more now.

For some insight into why US timber corporados ignore all this, you might want
to go to http://www.endgame.org/gtt-corps.html and check out who's on the boards
of directors of the major US timber corps.  Lots of oily-coaly-gassy boys.

> In Britain the last 3-day seminar and AGM of the Institute of Chatered
> Foresters was devoted entirely to the new systems and species we are
> adopting in order to minimise the effects of the climate change. The ICF are
> not exactly renowned for their radical thinking - being a pretty
> conservative bunch of people.
> Our oak trees (Q.Robur) are now leafing 22 days earlier than they were in
> 1965 for example ( thats a verifiable record if ever there was one ! ) and
> our beech tree population in the south of England is in serious trouble due
> to repeated droughts. We recommend that noone bothers planting beech trees
> anymore as they are very unlikely to survive more than 50 years.
> Climate change has got everything to do with forestry! It is 'forestry' at
> its worst that has helped to bring it about in the first place.
> The climate has fluctuated extremely violently in the past - up 4C in 30
> years in one period - so why are the Americans so sceptical that it is
> happening again? The evidence is right under your noses. I just don't get
> it.

For more detailed information on who's paying whom to perpetuate the lies, see
http://www.heatisonline.org/disinformation.cfm .  I neglected to mention above
that the so-called "conservative think tanks" play a very important role in
creating the disinformation that gets disseminated (sic) by the politicos and
the press.  These slime don't want to conserve anything, and their only effort
at thought is how to best please their corporate masters.

--
Karl Davies, Practicing Forester
Politics of Forestry