Browner, and EPA

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Jun 15 19:19:30 EST 2000

A recent comment from a reader in Oregon.

I read your Browner article posted in newsgroups.  No wonder the EPA is
such
a mess.  I am a logging consultant out on the Oregon coast.  In the last
5
months, I have become politically active at a state level.  The EPA gave
the
National Marine Fisheries Services the authority to implement the 4(d)
rules
regarding water quality.  What I understand, is that the Pacific
Northwest is
the first region, where rules of this nature will be implemented.  I
don't
know if you have heard much about the salmon issue out here, but these
rules
go so far as to say they have the power to control our thermostats, tell
us
how far we will drive and whether or not we will raise a backyard
garden.
There is a section in the rules describing how our wells will be
metered, and
I can only assume that metering means an allotment per month.  This is
how
they intend to control whether we raise livestock, plant gardens, etc.
Our
legislators believed if they wrote a state plan, NMFS would not come in.

They were wrong.  These plans are to be implemented June 19.  I am going
the state capital on Monday with many others to urge our legislators to
push
the federal government back.  I know that the EPA plans to implement
rules on
water quality in other states.  Read these rules if you haven't already,
and
check out the third party lawsuits.  I sent the Browner piece out to my
group
with the message to pass it on.  Thanks.  It is bringing in quite a
response.