Bioblitz OR: June 16-17,2000

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sat Jun 17 22:47:00 EST 2000

In article <8hnatq$8ph$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:
> According to NATS Current News, June-July, 2000, Vol 18, No. 3:
>
> Come - See - Count
> BIOBLITZ
> JUNE 16-17, 2000
> Champoeg State Heritage Park

BioBlitz is now official over. I attended for several hours this
morning, helping to establish some of the myriad botanical and fungal
life in the area.

According to the latest news reports, the count is at 700+ and still
accumulating. I suspect many of the species collected will have to await
expert identification from labs.

Among the truffles (defined as hypogeous fungi) found were:
2 Rhizopogon species
1 Gymnomyces sp.
1 Martellia sp.

Of course, the majority of truffles probably present were not uncovered
in a single day for many reasons: abundant England Ivy was the best one
I encountered.

So, let me also post some of the truffles I expect were present, but
remained uncollected:
Tuber gibbosum var. gibbosum (under Douglas fir)
Hymenogaster sps. (under Douglas fir
Endogone (lactiflua, flammicorona, oregonense) (under Douglas fir)
Glomus sps. (under Douglas fir)
Tuber sps. novum (under or near Oregon White oak)
Tuber puberulum (under honeysuckle)
Martellia subochracea (under California hazel)
Martellia gilkeyae (under California hazel)
Martellia brunnescens
Alpova diplophloeus (under Red alder)

And here, from the notebook I was issued, are the species I did run
across:

Thimbleberry
Indian tobacco
Evergreen blackberry
Sword fern
Bigleaf maple
Trailing blackberry
Oregon ash
American robin
Wood rose
Vine maple
Maidenhair fern
Indian plum
Oceanspray
Scouler willow
Fireweed
choke cherry
Douglas fir
Poison oak
Salal
Serviceberry
Solomon's seal
Poison hemlock
Pacific yew
Dwarf Oregon grape
Goatsbeard
Tall Oregon Grape
Piggy-back plant
Ninebark
Cascara
Red alder
California hazel
Western red-cedar
Lady fern
Holly
Snowberry
Black-cap
English Ivy
Hydrophylla occidentale
Bedstraw
Red elderberry
Bracken fern
Inside-out flower
Coprinus micaceus
Sedge
Sawgrass
Deadly nightshade
Creek dogwood
Black hawthorne
Stinging nettle
Parchment fungus
Honeysuckle
Trillium
Small Flase Solomon's seal
Fairy Bells
Wood violet
Spring Beauty
Licorice fern
Grand fir
Mosquitos
Wild cucumber
Fomes sps. on Douglas fir
Coral Bells
Black cottonwood
Varied Thrush
Wren
Himalaya berry
Pacific Dogwood
Pleurotus ostreaus (very old) on Red alder snag
Broadleaf plantain
Johnson grass
Spearmint
Oregon White oak