Browner, and EPA

HubCap arne at nospam.snowcrest.net
Sun Jun 18 00:04:07 EST 2000

4d rules were issued for the NSO in Calif, Ore., & Wa. in 1996. After
splitting off the California Spotted Owl due to its over abundance, it is
now being repetitioned w/ the FWS for listing. This 4d rule by NMFS is a
major power grab and consolidation in the attack on forestry here in the
west. NMFS (staff members) has some pretty cozy connections to regional
environmental groups, on the North Coast of California, at least. The EPA is
trying get forestry classed an point source pollution and thereby subject to
the CWA. and by extension WDR's.

Along the Klamath River, NMFS floated a trial balloon (typically
Clintonesque) that would require any activity within 300' of a stream to be
subject to permit. They were so onerous that one local timber company
abandoned their HCP process: in effect said "screw it, trying to satisfy
these folks is impossible." No matter what compromise you offer, they always
come back wanting more.

news:39497292.F47272E0 at livingston.net...