heavy lift helicopters

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Jun 29 05:40:44 EST 2000

Mike Hagen wrote:

> I'm beginning to look into the prospects of using a helicopter such as
> the Skycrane S-64 or Chinook (B-234) for Fall work in a low elevation
> riparian area in the pacific northwest. I've worked with smaller
> machines but these operate on a different scale.  Has anyone particular
> experience using these big boys?  Actual costs/MBF or weight - booking
> difficulties - safety concerns - extras that crop up ...  I'm interested
> in any tales.
>
>  The project may be considered helicopter logging in reverse.  The
> scenario so far calls for us to purchase timber, transport it to the
> landing, then fly it back to be set in place in a side channel which has
> lost its large embedded wood due to past management practices.

You mean "past mismanagement practices." <G>

>  This is
> a Tribal salmon habitat restoration effort which will (among many other
> goals) be demonstrating alternatives to roading and heavy equipment use
> inside protected riparian forests.
> Mike H

So, after industry screws up such a place, while making a tidy profit- the
public and/or private landowner now has to spend a lot of money to fix it.
Meanwhile, the evil doers will be somewhere else doing the same thing.

--
Joe  Zorzin
Massachusetts Licensed Eco Forester #261

"Make the most of the hemp seed & sow it everywhere."
George Washington

Ralph Nadar's home page
http://www.nader.org/