The Awful Truth

Doug Halliwell hallid at advertisnet.com
Sun Mar 12 23:52:48 EST 2000

Karl:
It is late in the evening and I don't have a lot of time to deal with all of
the issues that were brought up in "The
Awful Truth" but would like to mention a few things.  For one thing, I am a
practicing forester with a state agency and have been doing it for about 32
years, so am one of your buro crats.  Your broad smears are an insult to
someone who has spent almost their entire working life trying to improve the
forest resource.  Sure, that include some cutting, some thinning, some
regeneration and some leaving the dam thing alone.  Over the years, I have
sold more landowners on woodland management through esthetics, wildlife and
recreation than from any monetary gain from cutting trees.  The Forest
Management plans our agency writes encompass the entire resource, including
wildlife, water, riparian areas, recreation, etc,etc,etc.  Cutting timber is
only one tool among several.  All of our timber sales are on the basis of a
selectively marked, scaled, bid process.  If the landowner is not willing to
allow scientific management, we bow out.  As we do not have any mandatory
forest management laws, that is the best we can do.  Licensing of Foresters
would have little effect, as our foresters are very well trained and we have
a strict code of ethics that is obeyed, or they are fired.

You seem to have it in for loggers (there is not doubt that some of them are
bad apples and I have had my share of trouble with them), however, without
them (believe it or not, some of them can look to the future and appreciate
a sustainable resource) it would not be possible to manage our forests.  You
do enjoy a nice piece of golden oak  or hard maple furniture, don't you.

You are asking for a simplistic answer to a complicated problem.  I am a
REAL forester and I do know what the heck is going on.  If you want to carry
on a constructive dialog, it will by my pleasure to do so with you and the
rest of this group.   There are real problems out their and a open
discussion about them would be profitable.

Doug